Sunday, February 15, 2015

Coming back

I decided to start posting on this blog again. I have a few things on my mind today.

First of all, Happy Valentine's Day!

Have you ever heard of William Burroughs? I listened to a little bit of This American Life when they featured another podcast episode that was all about Burroughs. Basically, I was really weirded out. I was wondering if you have read any of his stuff and what you think about it.

I watched a YouTube video on Severus Snape and now I am determined to read Harry Potter from the beginning to the end over my spring break! Possibly in Spanish. But then that would take me much longer than spring break, haha. What does one do with a spring break? It is such a luxury I am not used to. I would love to come visit you, but our airfare budget is pretty tight. My cousin just got engaged, so that is one more trip to Utah we are making this summer.

I would like to hear about your wedding plans. Are they all-consuming, or are you looking around and wondering what the big deal is with wedding planning. I felt in both camps, some things I was so obsessed about and other things I just didn't care.

Today we took a lady in our ward named Connie to the hospital to see her mother and that experience really got me thinking about trials and families and service. I feel so safe and secure and warm in our little apartment in Albany and it shakes me up to hear about family situations like Connie's and how ugly people can be. She talked about how her mother is bipolar how family member physically abused her. Connie's mother is also near death; if she didn't have a procedure to clear her lungs of fluid she could die in the next few days. It sounds like out of Connie's siblings, she is the only one who dealing with her mother's condition because the family doesn't get along. And Connie talked about trying to commit suicide and being in and out of hospitals. My first reaction is that I don't want to get involved. All this stuff makes me sad. Then I'm angry, because I feel like families and lives shouldn't be like that. And then I just get tired of people and how mean. Basically, I want the world to be perfect and I'm mad at how people keep messing it up. I was wondering if you ever felt this way on your mission and what conclusions you have come to?

That's about all the interesting things I have to say. One of these days I will come up with another historical hunk.

Here's a picture of the shore near my apartment. This is incentive to come visit me this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment