Wednesday, February 18, 2015

welcome back.

WOW Carla, you have reinvigorated the blog. Good thinking. I like it.

In response to your post, I would like to say: I have not read any of William Burroughs. But Derek did, and he told me about it, and he was enraged. He thought William Burroughs was a freak.

When is your spring break exactly? I think reading all of Harry Potter in Spanish is a brilliant idea. Maybe just start with book 1 for this break.

Wedding planning. . . most of the big stuff is taken care of or being taken care of, so I guess I feel a little less pressure. But yes, I agree that I feel in both camps. OH I don't even think I told you that I got my dress!! I'll send you a picture.


So Derek and I just got back from a trip to Portland and it was lovely. It actually ended up being a really good time to go on  a trip. This week isn't too busy, so I'm not scrambling to catch up or anything. It was very good to see Syd & Penelope. My favorite part of the trip was probably just going to church with them on Sunday and holding PJ the whole time, and then helping Syd make dinner afterward. It made me wish we lived closer together. I still feel like we're very close, and when we get together we don't need to get reacquainted, but then I feel like there are some things I can't ever understand about her life because I'm simply not there. Which makes me sad. But, oh well. I will do my best.

One other fun thing about the trip was that we spent most of the drive listening to audiobooks--The Martian Chronicles and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Have you ever read those? I really liked them both. The latter was very interesting indeed; if you haven't read it, you should, and tell me what you think. Here is the summary:

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells—taken without her knowledge in 1951—became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, and more. Henrietta's cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can't afford health insurance. This phenomenal New York Times bestseller tells a riveting story of the collision between ethics, race, and medicine; of scientific discovery and faith healing; and of a daughter consumed with questions about the mother she never knew.

I think Derek was annoyed by it, because he was annoyed by Henrietta's living family members, whom the book spends a lot of time with. They are kind of a mess. But I liked them, because I feel like I know those people. They are very familiar to me.

I will leave you with one last adorable photo from the trip. Oh, and today is the two-year anniversary of me & Derek. That's a loooooooong time.



But you, Carla, will always be the apple of my eye.










No comments:

Post a Comment