While reading your post about the idealism of youth and the materialism of the older generation, I was reminded of this speech given by Shawn Miller (a current history professor at BYU) about learning and knowledge. This, along with two other articles I had to read for my Historian's Craft class motivated me to make that powerpoint presentation of inspirational quotes, which is really cheesy and slightly tacky, but I was so pumped about learning. Haha.
Anyways, I think that there is an antidote to materialism, even when we are forced to be materialistic (buy a house for our family, go on vacations; I guess that is not a requirement, but what I'm getting at is that later in our lives we will probably spend more money than we do now and buy some things at stores besides the DI). Worded eloquently by Shawn Miller:
"Seeking knowledge also can be an effective antidote to worldliness. We invest a great deal in the acquisition of stuff. Companies bombard us with slick, relentless propaganda as to why we must have their stuff, and we judge an individual’s success by their stuff’s sheer quantity and supposed quality."
Now don't you feel like making a PowerPoint on that?
No comments:
Post a Comment